Monday 15 April 2013

Hundreds of Swallows and Martins arrive to feed over the reserve

I spent some time walking round the reserve late on Sunday to be treated to the sight of hundreds of Swallows and Sand Martins feeding over the lagoon and Ski-lake area. I followed them around with my binoculars, watching their avian display with wonder before I finally just watched and stood in awe at the wonder of it all. I felt a bit like Dr Dolittle as I kept saying and thinking, "welcome back."

 No matter how many times I witness it, seeing large flocks of birds, especially when they have completed a huge migration, never ceases to leave me amazed. They say that one Swallow doesn't make a summer, but given my experience on Sunday evening, does that mean summer  has truly arrived?

2 comments:

Mike Henshaw said...

Saw 21 Sand Martins ,4 Swallows,4 House Martins and Willow Warbler Sun am with Graham and this morning alive with the above over the reserve and 3 Willow Warblers.

B.Nield said...

Just after you guys left on Sat after doing the pontoon I noticed a few Sand Martins & swallows arriving & zipping round the reserve. there was a lot of big midges starting to pop out Sat afternoon too. The local Chiffchaffs were lined up around the river & canal feasting.